On a wave born aloft I sight the deadly bay
From it reeks a deathly smell
Like those long dead
This bodes not well
And as my mast floats to thither
Every bone on the rocks does quiver
"Beware!" their voices seem to say
But I heeded them not and kept on the way
For, from the mouth of those jagged remains
Voices I heard, more lovely than strange
Although they seemed to be all of one part
Haunting, they seemed to tug at my heart
A lullaby from long ago
Yet a song that I shall never know
Harmonizing with my soul
I began to feel an irresistible pull
There, on the rocks, I met my end
And to you my advice I lend
Temptation is a powerful thing
And over it One is king
1 comment:
Welcome, Starcatcher!
I am the first to admit that I am a big fan of the Greek stories, the Oddysey not the least of them. Therefore, I might be a little biased as to the allusion of the Sirens. But, I loved it. The only thing that sticks out to me at the moment is that the reference to the King at the end seems a bit tacked on. The rest of t poem speaks of temptation, and how it draws up in, and does not mention God at all.
It was quite good, on the whole. Keep it up!
Post a Comment